GasaGase Haalu | Poppy seeds Milk Recipe – sugar free and gluten free
Presenting a healthy and delicious poppy seed milk (gasagase haalu / khus khus doodh) recipe today.With the goodness of poppy seeds, almonds and coconut this sugar-free milk serves as a refreshing drink to be relished by you and your family.
The tiny poppy seeds have quite a lot of health benefits. They contain anti oxidants,minerals, fatty acids and essential volatile oils. They help lower bad cholesterol and increase the good cholesterol in our system. They also help in balancing the digestive functions of our body, in the production of healthy red blood cells and in boosting our immunity.In Ayurveda, it’s said that poppy seeds cool the body down and prevent mouth ulcers caused by excessive body heat.Having poppy seeds paste with warm milk is known to be effective in inducing sleep and helps cure sleep disorders.
Across the world, and more so in India, the poppy seeds have found their way into many cuisines.They make a good thickening agent and hence are often added in curries, and milk-based desserts such as Payasa. But unfortunately the poppy seeds are banned in UAE and I get to eat them only during vacations.And this vacation I got to try this yummy and nutritious milk (gasagase haalu) made by Mom.Hop on to see how she made it!
You may also love to try
GasaGase Haalu | Poppy seeds Milk Recipe
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds / gasagase / khus khus
- 7-8 almonds
- 1/3 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1-2 cardamom pods
- 6 tablespoons honey (add more or less according to taste)
- Step 1 Soak the poppy seeds in water for 4 to 6 hours
- Step 2 Soak the almonds in water for 4- 6 hours and remove their peels. (can use blanched almonds instead)
- Step 3 Blend the soaked poppy seeds , blanched almonds, and coconut with 1/2 cup water to a fine paste.
- Step 4 Add 1/2 cup water to the blender containing the paste. Stir and strain the blended mixture through a muslin cloth or sieve.
- Step 5 Transfer the leftovers in the cloth or sieve back into the blender.Add 1/4 cup water and blend till smooth.Add 1/2 cup water and strain the mixture again.
- Step 6 Crush the cardamoms using a mortar and pestle and add it to the strained milk.
- Step 7 Now add the honey and stir well till combined.Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Thank you for stopping by 🙂 Please leave your valuable feedback and queries in the comments below. Send your pics to me if you recreate a recipe for a chance to get featured. I would love to see your creations.
Till the next recipe Keep Smiling and Spread Happiness 🙂
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @thekaravaliwok on Instagram and hashtag it #thekaravaliwok.