Hibiscus Juice | Dasavala Hoovina Juice | Healthy Beverage
Hibiscus / ದಾಸವಾಳ ಹೂವು is a flower that is very common in India.The hibiscus plants have enhanced the beauty of the gardens in almost every home of south India.These bright colored flowers (red ,pink or white) are widely used as an offering to God by us Hindus.But these flowers do have a host of medicinal values too. They also have many beauty benefits apart from being healthy.Hibiscus extracts have been used for ages in Ayurveda to cure many ailments.Hibiscus extracts are easily available these days but since I am on vacation I have made use of fresh flowers from my Mom’s garden.The red hibiscus flower produces a bright-red juice with a little extra tang from the couple of squeezes of lime.It makes a great alternative to the artificially flavored punches.You can drink this hibiscus juice hot or cold, and you can mix it with other juices and a variety of ingredients, including ginger, clove and mint.
Hibiscus juice is rich in antioxidants and thus it helps to fight cancer and ageing.Having hibiscus flower juice regulates the body temperature. It helps to flush out excess body heat in summers.So lets have a look as to how to make this gorgeous ruby colored juice.
healthy hibiscus juice
- 3 red colored hibiscus flowers / dasavala hoovu
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 5 tbsp sugar or any other sweetener of your choice
- juice of half a lemon
- few ice cubes (optional)
- Step 1 Separate the petals from the hibiscus flowers.
- Step 2 Bring water to a boil and switch off the flame.Add the petals to the water.
- Step 3 The colors will start leaching from the petals and they will turn pale.
- Step 4 Remove the petals from the water and add sugar and stir till dissolved.
- Step 5 Next add the lime juice and stir (the lime juice turns the juice from dark brown/red to a bright red color).
- Step 6 Serve it warm or add ice cubes and serve it chilled !!
Hope you try out this healthy juice and let me know how it turned out for you.If you like what I share on my blog, please subscribe to my updates below for free so you will never miss another recipe 😉
Keep Smiling and Spread Happiness 🙂